This is a recipe from my grandmother. She was Polish in origin but I have no idea if this is a Polish recipe or something she made up off the top of her head. She was a phenomenal cook. Either way, I've never seen anyone else do green bean casserole the same way. My cousin dubbed it Christmas Beans because they are a holiday staple in our family. That being said, they are excellent any time of the year.
One medium onion, diced (I prefer a lot of onion so I do large)
Two Tbsp Butter (my grandmother said 2, I use 4)
Two Tbsp Flour (again, I use 4)
One package frozen, french style green beans (sometimes I double the green beans)
1 cup sour cream (depending on the amount of onion you use, you may want more)
2 cups shredded cheddar (I don't strictly stick to this; cover it well with cheese)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook green beans according to package
3. Saute diced onion in butter until translucent (not brown).
4. Add flour to pan and whisk in with butter and onion.
5. Add sour cream to pan and stir until thickened.
6. Drain green beans well and put in a 9x13 baking dish. Salt and pepper generously.
7. Spread sour cream and onion mixture over top of green beans.
8. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes.